Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Week 11: 11/10-11/16

Readings this week: 
Shiloh by Bobby Ann Mason, Claiming An Education by Adrienne Rich

Both of these readings supported gender equality and how to support women as equals to men. I didn't really like Shiloh because it was a short story that didn't really keep my attention. It did support a strong women who can speak her mind, but I didn't love the story. On the other hand, I really enjoyed "Claiming an Education." When we read it in class, it didn't really hit me, but reading it again I got a better sense of what Rich was trying to convey. My favorite quote from this speech is, "Once we begin to feel committed to our lives, responsible to ourselves, we can never again be satisfied with the old, passive way." This line doesn't state how one gender is superior to the other, but it empowers everyone to be committed to themselves and not be okay with being passive. I do believe theres a inferiority associated with women, but I don't think putting men down is the way to improve gender equality. As a women, I have noticed how women, including myself, can be quite passive and that's why this quote really stuck out to me to give everyone the strength the say their thoughts and not be passive to others who are loud about their views.

Reading Journal Assignment: 11/12/15

The "open road" I decided to go on was going to the Jundt Art Museum. I have been wanting to go so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to see what it had to offer. When I first got there, I walked through the gallery for about 15 minutes. The pieces are beautiful, but I'm not someone that can just stare at art for hours and hours. I kinda just admire and see which pieces really jump out at me. I've noticed that I'm really attracted to pieces with texture. My favorite pieces were the ones texture that makes you want to reach out and touch it. I also really enjoyed the pieces with warmer tones and gradient colors. I feel as though this "open road" wasn't really that much of a new experience, but I think my favorite part about going to the Jundt Art Museum was the new spot I found.

I didn't really know what to do after I look at the museum so I sat in the open window room that looks out onto the Centennial Trail. In college, I've realized being alone isn't really a thing. Although I love to be in the company of others, sometimes I just need some time for myself. I decided to sit in this room until I had to leave for my next class and it was really nice. I loved feeling like I could just sit and think to myself. I watched the people walk, run and bike by on the trail and I just felt at ease. There's so much stress that comes with college and just having time to myself with no obligations was a great little escape from my everyday college life.

I've always been one who likes to go out and see what my surroundings has to offer, so I really enjoyed this assignment. Although I didn't go very far, it was something new to me and I found a place I think I'll be visiting more often.

Song of the Open Road by Walt Whitman

In one of your emails, you posed the question to relate the journey of "Song of the Open Road" to other works of literature we have read in class and put a passage from the ODYSSEY. It talked about the theme of having "IT" in On the Road can be related to "Song of the Open Road." It made me start thinking how someone obtains "IT" and I feel like I have a little more of an answer to this indefinite question now. In all of our readings about people going on journeys, I believe they are all in search of "IT" the "IT" that is missing from their lives. In all of our stories, I feel like the people discover their "IT" on their journeys. I think this is an important idea to keep in mind because the motives of people who go on journeys is really interesting, but I think it can be explained by they are all in search of "IT."

No comments:

Post a Comment